The NetWinder Office Server provides a suite of Internet and intranet network services, including:
- Internet connection via an external dialup, cable or DSL modem, or by a serial ISDN terminal adaptor. Web caching.
- IP Masquerading and Proxy Server features, which reduce ISP costs and improve security, and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol makes administration easier to facilitate.
- Web authoring, hosting and publishing, with integrated support for HTTP/1.1, Common Gateway Interface (CGI) and Perl Scripting.
- E-mail services supporting POP3 and IMAP4 mail protocols, including automatic forwarding of messages and mail filter creation.
- Network Address Translation firewall, Port Forwarding and Virtual Private Networking features as well as remote access via the Internet with optional client software.
- Cross-platform file sharing and transfer between the NetWinder Office Server and users of Linux, Unix, Windows and Apple platforms.
- Document indexing and searching capabilities enable users to organize documents into categories and assign searchable properties, such as keywords, to facilitate information access.
- Public and private threaded discussion, allowing workgroup communication and collaboration.
- Print serving capabilities through the use of an attached printer that can be used as shared network printer. Several hundred printer types are supported.
- Detailed technical reporting provides administrators with statistics about uptime, memory total/used, swap total/used, load averages, number of TCP connections, number of UDP connections, log files and Web throughput.
The NetWinder Office Server will be sold through Internet Service Providers, Value Added Resellers and directly from Rebel.com. The product will be available in August 1999. For more information on pricing and availability, contact Rebel.com at (877) 282-6735. Visit Internet Product Watch for more on NetWinder Office Server.