The product is expected to be generally available in the fall.
WebLogic Portal 4.0 will incorporate BEA WebLogic Personalization Server, which is currently shipping with the BEA Portal Framework. WebLogic Portal 4.0 will feature new portal technologies, user tools, and partner applications.
The growing demand for next-generation portal solutions reflects an increased recognition that portal products are drivers of efficiency, productivity and revenue, and reduced operational and IT costs, according to BEA.
WebLogic Portal will focus on four critical technologies: personalization, portal framework, presentation, and integration. It will offer an extensive set of features and enabling technologies, including:
- Portal configuration tools for business and IT users
- A unique rules-based entitlement engine that works in conjunction with BEA's existing personalization software
- A standards-based framework that supports the J2EE Connector Architecture and Web services
- New delegated administration tools
- Reusable presentation software components
"BEA WebLogic Portal will simplify and personalize access to information distributed across the enterprise. This access will help businesses improve productivity, reduce IT costs, streamline operations and enhance business relationships through self-service," said Mark Carges, president, BEA E-Commerce Application Components Division.
Although the WebLogic Portal will not be available until later this year, enterprises that wish to deploy a portal using BEA technology can do so using BEA Portal Framework, which is included in current versions of BEA WebLogic Personalization Server and BEA WebLogic Commerce Server.