This article outlines the process of creating a SMS CAP from the administrator console.
There are two reasons for creating CAPs:
X There aren't enough for the size of a site.
X You want to move the CAP to another server.
If a CAP is being moved it is best to create the new one first. Then wait for a couple of days before deleting the old one. Doing this allows clients at the site to add the new CAP to their lists prior to the removal of the other CAP. Otherwise, clients will be without a CAP for awhile.
Here is the process for creating a CAP:
- Open the SMS Administrator Console.
- Open the Hierarchy tree, then open the site where you want to add the CAP.
- Right click on the Site System tree from the left pane.
- Select New and then select Windows NT Share.
- Set the file://
/Share">file://<servername>/Share path after selecting Set.
- On the Client Access Point tab, select Use this site system as a client access point.
- Select OK.
- The CAP should be created and populated within 1/2 hour or so.