I have been busy the past couple of days putting together a test server with W2K, SQL 7.0, and SMS 2.0. This build has been causing me a fair amount of trouble. Although I have worked with this platform before (on NT) I had always upgraded to it, as I figured that this would be the more necessary function. When I decided to build this other server from the ground up, the problems began.
The first time through, everything seemed to be going smoothly until I ran the SQL and SMS installs from the backoffice development kit. The errors started rolling out, most of them resembled the following:
_com_error exception in MMC Admin UI!
They were all errors with the mmc.exe. Then started the Dr. Watson, my good old buddy, and he came up every time I clicked on anything.
My first thought was that this was an issue with W2K, what the hell, there are something like 68,000 known bugs, this could be one of them. So, I decided to build this same server on NT 4.0 SP6a and, would you believe it, I ended up with the same errors. I tried everything that I knew, checking all of my steps and troubleshooting my entire process until I was sure that there was no error on my part.
Then, the strangest thing happened, someone stumbled by in the lab and said that he had run into the same issues and that there was some problem with an executable. It turns out that there is an issue with the service pack and all I really had to do was download a new file and replace it in the SMS install. The directions for this are as follows:
1. Copy the Systems Management Server 2.0 CD to a network share point.
2. Replace the Wbemsdk.exe file in the Smssetup\Bin\
3. Install Systems Management Server 2.0 from the network share point you created in Step 1 of this procedure.
The entire fix can be downloaded (with the full readme file) from the following location:
Good luck and let me know how it goes.