According to the vendor, Red Hat Linux 8.0 combines leading-edge Linux technologies with a new graphical look and feel to offer users a polished and easier-to-use operating environment.
Key new features in v8.0 include:
- Bluecurve: An organized, user friendly desktop with graphical enhancements and icons
- OpenOffice.org: Advanced open source office suite
- Robust suite of configuration tools: Tools to set up configurations for several system services and settings, including firewall, peripherals, Apache, Samba, and small network settings
- Personal firewall tool: Graphical tool to customize security settings
- Network integration: Point-and-click utilities to monitor and integrate existing updates for a system
- Upgraded core components: Updated C compiler, toolchain, and kernel deliver
- Web server upgrade: Powered by Apache 2.0
Red Hat Linux 8.0 is available now at retail locations. Enterprises can also order the software from Red Hat's site. The Professional version is $149.95, and the Personal version is $39.95.